1/ Our Mission
The way companies reward their people today is broken - it's a rigid, one-size-fits-all approach that hasn't evolved to meet the demands of the modern workforce. How we work is changing, but compensation - salary, bonus, equity, benefits - has been stuck in the same place for decades. Ben is changing that, starting with employee benefits. We are building an all-in-one platform for any company to personalise benefits and reward. Our mission is to make reward work for everyone.
Our secret? Marrying a modern software (SaaS) platform with per-employee Mastercards and financial infrastructure. That’s how Ben instantly adds employee choice to your existing benefits, unlocks access to hundreds of additional options through Ben Card, all while saving employers time and money.
We're proud to be backed by two of Europe's leading VC funds and the people behind companies such as Indeed.com, Transferwise, Workday, Nested and GoCardless.
2/ Your Mission
As part of our engineering team, you will develop the foundational building blocks in our technology - from payment APIs to backend services.
We’re looking for self-starters who are seeking a fast-paced environment where they can make a difference. Our team is small, which means high autonomy, ownership, and responsibility. We love what we do, have fun and, while we ship on time, take life-work balance seriously.
What you'll be working on
- Design, implement and deliver software features with full ownership, using your technical expertise
- Specifically, implement payment card APIs, payment transaction handlers and backend services for our employee benefits management platform
- Deliver your implementations from start to finish, including deployment of new services by expanding our application infrastructure within AWS
- Take ownership of business critical components, ensure their stability & maintainability
- Collaborate with product stakeholders and other members of the team to scope and estimate optimal solutions for business problems
- Ensure that security considerations are taken into account, based on current best practices (e.g. OWASP Top 10, AWS Well-Architected Framework) in all software development and infrastructure projects
Behind the scenes
Our cross-functional engineering team is focused on business goals and solving problems in an efficient manner. We collaborate with other teams on new ideas and projects to find the best solutions.
Ben is built on Python 3, Django, PostgreSQL and React. We run on AWS and follow engineering best practices, with a pragmatic approach.
3/ Your Skills and Experience
- Fluent and able to code in a major programming language such as Python, Java, C++ or similar
- Excellent software engineering knowledge: Clean architecture & design patterns, SOLID design principles and clean code
- Experience in working with AWS services such as EC2, SES, S3 etc.
- Applied information security in building secure web applications and infrastructure configurations
- Understand and appreciate the principles and practices of agile and lean ways of working, but with a pragmatic edge
- Excellent communication skills adaptable to both tech and business audiences
- are a self-starter who thrives on autonomy, enjoys a rapid pace and wants to make a difference
- have a continuous improvement mindset. You appreciate that there are always ways to do things better and ensure your team does too
- have a preference to action-oriented behaviour with just enough analysis, as compared to too much time spent doing analysis with no action
- have the ability to make decisions balancing different factors such as business requirements, technical integrity, overall priorities etc.
- appreciate the opportunities and challenges of a distributed work environment
- are solution-focused with a pragmatic approach to problem-solving
4/ Things you should know
Distributed: We are a small, distributed team.
It really is day zero: You'd be joining us in the first chapter of our journey - when every decision matters and your work has a material impact on the company.
Grow together: Continuous improvement is important to us, so we provide ample opportunity for personal and professional development through individual career plans as well as a generous training budget.
Hack: Every two weeks, we spend a full day on innovation and experimenting with ideas that could improve our business, customer experience, and make our lives better while learning new concepts and technologies.
5/ How we partner with you
BENefits, it's all in the name 🙂
💸 €60-70k salary + equity
🔋 €1,000 Annual Learning & Development allowance, plus 3 days paid study leave a year to support you with your learning
💳 €100 Personal Ben Balance per month: €100 for whatever works for you, whether that's Netflix, Spotify, or a really expensive cup of coffee!
💻 The tech setup of your choice: You'll be given a generous Ben allowance so you can organise your work from home set up using tech that works for you
📅 Flexible working - we're serious about life-work balance
🏖 28 days of holidays a year, plus bank holidays
🍼 Enhanced maternity / paternity leave
🧠 Comprehensive and tailored mental health support through a leading provider
We are working hard to create a diverse, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. ThanksBen is an equal opportunities employer and doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic. All applications are very much welcome! If you need any adjustments to support you with your application, just let us know.