The way companies reward their people today is broken - it's a rigid, one-size-fits-all approach that hasn't evolved to meet the demands of the modern workforce. How we work is changing, but compensation - salary, bonus, equity, benefits - has been stuck in the the same place for decades. Ben is changing that, starting with employee benefits and our mission is to make benefits and pay work for everyone, everywhere.
We have been featured in TechCrunch and Financial Times (to name a few) and we're super proud to be backed by some of Europe's leading VC funds including Atomico, Seedcamp, Cherry, and DN Capital and the people behind companies such as Indeed.com, Peakon, Personio, Wise, Workday, and GoCardless.
As Engineering Manager you will be leading & growing a cross functional team of software engineers to develop secure and scalable B2B web applications and API integrations.
You will take responsibility for people management and recruiting across the Engineering department and collaborate with the VP Engineering to make sure that our SaaS platform runs stable and follows current best practices in software engineering & security.
We’re looking for self-starters who are seeking a fast-paced environment where they can make a difference. Our team is small, which means high autonomy, ownership, and responsibility. We love what we do, have fun and, while we ship on time, take life-work balance seriously.
What you'll be working on:
- Ensure that security considerations are taken into account, based on current best practices (e.g. OWASP Top 10, AWS Well-Architected Framework) in all software development and infrastructure projects
Manage and recruit top software engineers across a variety of functions
- Help identify the right suppliers for build vs. buy decisions
- Collaborate with the VP Engineering on the long & medium term development, infrastructure and IT security roadmaps
- Take ownership of business critical components, ensure their stability & maintainability
- Collaborate with product stakeholders and other members of the team to scope and estimate optimal solutions for business problems
Behind the scenes
Our cross-functional delivery teams are focused on business goals and solving problems in an efficient manner. We want the teams to collaborate on new ideas and projects to find the best solutions.
Ben is built on Python 3, Django, PostgreSQL and React. We run on AWS and follow engineering best practices, with a pragmatic approach.
We think you'll excel in this role if you...
- Previous experience in managing and scaling high performing software engineering teams
- Experience in structuring and improving development processes
- Familiarity with reporting on Kanban and Scrum metrics to gauge team performance
- Fluent in a major programming language such as Python, Java, C++ or similar
- Excellent software engineering knowledge: Clean architecture & design patterns, SOLID design principles and clean code
- Experience in working with AWS services such as EC2, SES, S3 etc.
- Applied information security in building secure web applications and infrastructure configurations
- Understand and appreciate the principles and practices of agile and lean ways of working, but with a pragmatic edge
- Excellent communication skills adaptable to both tech and business audiences
- are a self-starter who thrives on autonomy, enjoys a rapid pace and wants to make a difference
- have a continuous improvement mindset. You appreciate that there are always ways to do things better and ensure your team does too
- have a preference to action-oriented behaviour with just enough analysis, as compared to too much time spent doing analysis with no action
- have the ability to make decisions balancing different factors such as business requirements, technical integrity, overall priorities etc.
appreciate the opportunities and challenges of a distributed work environment
- are solution-focused with a pragmatic approach to problem-solving
Things you should know
Distributed: we're a small, distributed team.
It really is day zero: You'd be joining us in the first chapter of our journey - when every decision matters and your work has a material impact on the company.
Grow together: Continuous improvement is important to us, so we provide ample opportunity for personal and professional development through individual career plans as well as a generous training budget.
Hack: Every two weeks, we spend a full day on innovation and experimenting with ideas that could improve our business, customer experience, and make our lives better while learning new concepts and technologies.
It's all in the name 🙂
💸 €100K base salary + equity, so you own what you build
🔋 €1,000 Annual Learning & Personal Development Ben Balance
💳 €100 Personal Ben Balance per month: €70 for whatever works for you, whether that's Netflix, Spotify, or a really expensive cup of coffee
👩🏽💻 €1,000 work from home set up allowance, which you can put towards your home office
🏖 28 days of holidays a year, plus bank holidays
🍼 Enhanced maternity / paternity leave
🧠 Comprehensive and tailored mental health support through a leading provider
🍿 Team activities: we have quarterly team social budgets to support spending time together and we frequently organise company wide events
📅 Flexible working - we're serious about life-work balance
Know someone you think would be suitable for this role? Refer them and receive a £250 Amazon voucher if they get hired & start with us! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or to submit referrals.
We are working hard to create a diverse, inclusive and super-friendly team, because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace. ThanksBen is an equal opportunities employer and doesn’t discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion or belief, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic. All applications are very much welcome! If you need any adjustments to support you with your application, just let us know.
Please note we're unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time, but we are working on it!